awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Re: tranny sprocket nut

Post by awander »

Cotten:

Doesn't seem rude to me, to point out what needs doing.

Yes, all of what you said is going to happen.

This was put together just to illustrate the use of the tool.

This tranny is the "rebuilt" one that started leaking pints of oil at a time, due to the disintegration of the bushing, and I think the main drive gear bearing is shot as well. Luckily I had a "donor" tranny off my '64 so I can keep riding.

And that was my post-for some reason, I keep getting logged off, and I never notice until after I see I have posted as "guest".

Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

Guest wrote:I also use the cheap Harbor Freight sockets, but with a twist..)

Their 3/4" drive set that goes for $50 includes only "standard-depth" sockets, which will fit over the tranny input shaft, but the end of the input shaft will be right in the 3/4" drive opening, so you can;t us a breaker bar or a ratchet handle.

To get around this, I machined a 1" hex portion on the top of the socket, so I can drive it with a 1" socket and breaker bar.
Now you've got me wondering. In the last 4 months I dropped to a 23 tooth sprocket and then down to the 22 tooth sprocket. I ran into no problems removing the motor nut or clutch hub nut or the tranny sprocket with my sockets ? My sockets don't look like yours though.

awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

What DO they look like? They must be deeper, if you can use them over the input shaft on the tranny. Are they an impact set?

awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

I see that the links in my original message regarding the modified socket have gone bad, so here's a copy of the post with new links for the images:

When I first posted, I was thinking that pictures would make it easier. Here they are:

The problem:

With a regular 1-7/8" socket on it(Note how the shaft fills the square drive opening):

The modified Socket(1-1/2" hex portion machined on top):

The modified socket in place:

...and turning the socket with a 1-1/2" socket on a breaker bar:

Hope this helps!

(and those with sharp eyes will spot the fact that there are 2 different 1-7/8" sockets in these pics-I took them all today, and I did the mods a few months ago)

Return to “Accessories”