Can 41mm Wide Glide (early 80's) be used with drum brake lowers?

My tubes are rusted and pitted and I have a Wide Glide dual disk front end hanging around, but I'd like to keep the front drum brake.

All Panhead related topics
Mongrel505558
Bikes: 2000 FLHPI, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide, homebuilt rigid Panhead

Can 41mm Wide Glide (early 80's) be used with drum brake lowers?

Post by Mongrel505558 »

I know the damping innards are different, and the tops of the Wide Glide tubes are tapered where they go into the top triple tree, but I have the trees for these tubes. The tubes I'm running now are stock hydra-glide and are rusted and pitted, plus I would like to use the newer style copper washer/Allen bolts to fasten the lowers rather than the paper washer if possible. However; I know there are a few other things to consider besides diameter - like bushings, for instance. If I could get replacement tubes at a reasonable price I'd prefer that, but I'm only finding raw tubes on eBay and Forking by Frank tubes are pretty pricey. If I go with the Wide Glide front end entirely then I have to buy rotors (I have a dual flange hub available), pads, and most likely a master cylinder rebuild kit and two caliper rebuild kits. I can live with the reduced stopping power from the drum brake - I'm used to it on this bike.

Frankenstein
Bikes: 37ULH,46UL,47EL(80"),65FL,61KH-WL-BSA hybrid,56square4,several 50's BSA 500 singles

Re: Can 41mm Wide Glide (early 80's) be used with drum brake lowers?

Post by Frankenstein »

I don't know all the ins and outs of the various late model designations, so I can't be too specific. But, by shopping ebay, you can get take offs reasonably priced that could get you a sensible front end. I did my pan several years ago and it saved my life from an idiot like the year after I did it.
I kept my old pan trees, and got an early 2000's front end. Tubes, lowers and calipers and master cylinder. You get all the modern conveniences, like the allens and copper washers, and legs you can rebuild with a set of seals and off the shelf bushes. I shop the swap meets regularly and the stuff is there too and you can check what you buy up close and personal. (just wear a mask) :D
by doing a little research you could shop for individual pieces as I did. Things like tubes and lowers changed very little through the early 2000's, but there were some changes. Get on Ronnie's harley davidson's site as a good reference source. They have all the years' parts breakdown schematics with parts numbers.
Most bikes are going to weigh more than your pan so look for the lighter models not full out dresser types.(lighter springs)
You know what level of originality you lookin for. Myself, I want to be able to stop just as fast as the idiots around me.
Your bike, your decisions.
DD

Raytag
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1972 FL, 1975FX Bitsa

Post by Raytag »

I`ve done it.
In order to keep everything else I shortened WG-tubes on the lathe and cut new internal threads on the lathe.
The "loose" thread turned out to be blessing. Haven`t ridden it yet :roll: but in the garage the fork works great :lol:
You need a willing machinist with a lathe of at least 42mm/1.65" spindle bore or someone who knows how to work with a "steady rest"

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18879&p=132446&hilit=tubes#p132446

https://www.hydra-glide.com/cpg/thumbna ... ?album=445

Ray

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Custom Built Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

Get a V-Twin print catalog so that you can circle items and make notes in the margin. They have very good forking stuff from individual pieces to complete fork assemblies and everything in between. Just a credit card away through your local indi dealer. I am using two of their forks specd for Softalis upgraded to dual discs, not a factory item, but Tedd created them anyway. So, you could go with the stripped FXST style, or the FLST, Heritage style. I also cross bred mine with Duoglide trees, heritage legs, and a Duoglide head light nacelle. You can build what ever you want from that catalog.

A FXST fork is a Hydraglide + 4".
The FLST legs are equal to +2" over the old Hydraglides....
A stock FLST is 5/8" narrower than an FLH front end, so the tins, and axles will not interchange, so I use Panhead/Shovelhead trees with the later style legs, and everything fits together quite happily....

Being able to stop is more than just a nice idea, the life you save could be your own.....
....RooDog....

Heritage lowers, Duoglide top, dual discs....
DSC01982.JPG
DSC01982.JPG (118.59 KiB) Viewed 47 times
Last edited by RooDog on Sat May 23, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frankenstein
Bikes: 37ULH,46UL,47EL(80"),65FL,61KH-WL-BSA hybrid,56square4,several 50's BSA 500 singles

Post by Frankenstein »

RD, AMEN!

Return to “Panhead”