Duo glide fork stops

Information on forks/springers/shocks
ronzmtrwrx
Bikes: 64 Panhead, 75 Shovel

Duo glide fork stops

Post by ronzmtrwrx »

I have a lower triple tree on my rigid frame that is incorrect due to the fact of having an offset stem for derake. I am planning on a possible trade with another member here who needs this style and has the centered stem lower that I need. However, I want to correctly identify mine so as not to misrepresent it. Mine has the top 3/8" of the fork stop machined forward about 1/4" To allow the fork shorter turning. Was this done only to bikes that offered 3.5 gallon tanks only? My lower also has the correct hole in the stem that lines up with my fork lock plunger. The other fella needs a 58-9 lower tree. As I said, I want to make sure this is what he needs before moving forward. Thanks in advance, RonO

1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Duo glide fork stops

Post by 1950Panhead »

48 to 57 hydraglide trees are round on the bottom where the stem comes through.
58 to 65 duoglide trees are oval on the bottom where the stem comes through at an angle.
Original trees have value, modified trees have little value.
Jerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ronzmtrwrx

Post by ronzmtrwrx »

I realize mine are not as desirable due to the plating. The stem is not in question. The machined area on the stops is what I am wondering about, whether or not it is factory. Both sides are uniform and look to be done at the factory.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ronzmtrwrx

Post by ronzmtrwrx »

So no one can tell me what year they started notching the stops?

jmatch
Bikes: 1960 FLH

Post by jmatch »

I believe the stops were notched from '58 when the trees were "deraked" till "64, in order to provide enough steering movement. In "65 and on with the advent of the 5 gallon tanks the notch was omitted. I'm pulling all this from Palmer which is a handy reference source if you are going to play with older Harleys. HTH, good luck!

ronzmtrwrx

Post by ronzmtrwrx »

Thanks jmatch! That was what I suspected, but had no proof. Are you in Palmers new book or the original? I have the original version, but did not find that info. I may need to go back through it again.

jmatch
Bikes: 1960 FLH

Post by jmatch »

Palmer V2 has this info. Good luck with your bike!

Return to “Forks/Shocks”