Linkert Floats

Linkert related issues
Cotten

Re: Linkert Floats

Post by Cotten » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:38 pm

Folks,

Look what I found deep in my ancient dumpster scrap stash today.
I suspect the big piece was one of my grad students' abandoned projects back at the university, three decades past.
ACRYL1.jpg
It is just shy of 1½" Model M bore. Close enough for me anyway, since it is already polished.
And its wall is thick enough to support bushings and whatever.
acryl2.jpg
I can easily dream of whittling out a really simple, but entertaining simulator of carb functions, even hooking up a shop vacuum and injecting smoke.

There is little to stop me from carving a 'clear' venturi and a selection of 'clear' nozzles, and even plumbing a 'visible' idle circuit with bleeds!yeahright.... except there is currently only enough time available to dream.

(If I really had R&D time, it is supposed to be doing my annual P4gas immersion tests. Among other things.)

So how are our fuel mileage logs doing, Folks?
They are critical to the perpetuation of these efforts.

....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:23 pm

Cotten,
In lieu of employing the shop vacuum as a means of introducing smoke, maybe the grad student would be willing to puff on it instead? I remember seeing a bong that was identical to that one except it was rainbow colored.

Seriously though, I appreciate your efforts and the input from all the contributors to this thread.

Geo.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:53 pm

Geo!

After thirty years, that student is probably an Illinois State Senator, or something.

My plan, if I ever ever get free, is to first observe the float circuit separately. (The Armored School Handbook describes it as the first of four circuits. The last, the "choke circuit" requires little of our attention at this time.)
The sightglass will be our first clues to the character of the low-speed, or 'idle' circuit.

I hope this is readable:
ARMRD38.jpg
ARMRD40.jpg
I am fascinated by the way the floating floatlever fingers dance around the needle while it is shut, as if they are not touching it. It would be curious to see if it dances the same with a rubber-tipped needle.
Or with a brass float.

....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:36 pm

AS to Cottons question about fuel milage!--Im still holding steady with my last posting!--(I started a thread on fuel milage!--You can post findings there!-or on this thread!--NOW mine wont count as IM using a BENDIX--NOT a LINKERT YET!---RICHIE

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:58 pm

Thanks Richie,

For reminding everybody that keeping records on your machine is important, no matter what you have done to it.

....Cotten

awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:04 pm

Alright, i am convinced.

I will start records after I fix the speedometer. And I will fix the speedometer tonight.

I have always mentally calculated my gas mileage at each fillup, but I considered it an estimation only, as it is not easy to get the exact same amount of gas in the tanks each time, And my practice has been to fill the left tank first, then do the right one, and fill the right tank more if I am going on a long ride immediately after fillup, but not fill it so much if I am going home to park it, as that would cause a leak of the excess with the bike on the Jiffy stand.

It seems like a small difference of fill level in a 3.5 gallon setup can be quite significant, as opposed to whatever difference you might get in filling up your car.

What do others do?

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:22 pm

Andy!

At some point you have to write something down unless you have one of those phones that are far smarter than I.

Top it off to your favorite level, and make three columns:
Miles ridden; fuel added; notes.

Then each time at the pump, note the miles, and the fuel needed to top it off back to your favorite level, and anything pertinent like change of brand, altitude, attitude, or whatever.
With any data-collecting, it is all about collecting it for a very long time under as similar conditions as possible.
So repetitive routes with the same fuel obviously mean the most.

Anybody can belly up to the keyboard and give an opinion, or arm-chair-engineer any convenient scenario of results, as I know personally, too well.
We need hard data, or these inscrutable pieces of toilet plumbing will remain as mis-understood and mythical as motor balancing. (Which is, ironically, just too simple for many to accept!)

....Cotten

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:11 pm

Here we go slow, Folks!

First I filled the apparatus reservoir to 150ml, with everything else dry. Opening its valve, and then cracking the bowl feed valve instantly filled to the line to the bowl.
By luck, I shut it off before any appeared in the bowl, giving me an approximate 10ml volume for the line and fittings.

Then I hoped that opening the feed would gove me an accurate volume of the bowl.
But by Murphy's Law, the perfectly set-up NOS lever and float did not lift with the introduction of fluid.

I bumped it loose just in time I suppose, because then removing fluid with a squeezebulb dropper immediately pulled from the reservoir as I released the bulb.
I guestimate a 92ml volume, this time.

The removal of fluid by 5ml dropper seemed to not affect the float or fluid level in the slightest, but the drop in the reservoir was direct, and dramatic.

Seems counter-intuitive, to have no apparent 'toilet cycle', but there it is.

The fingers don't float as free, as I snatched everything sweet for these tests.
Spent a long time on it too.
This suggests to me that the tight spec is as undesireable, or at least as unnecessary, as it is impossible to attain.

I have yet to open the sightglass, as it is apparent that the float is not floating level, nor at 1/4"!

Time to level the bench.
More when time allows,

....Cotten

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:58 pm

Observations while cleaning up, Folks,

If I drain the bowl rapidly at the bottom,
the float still moves imperceptibly while the reservoir drops in the 2 ml/second range, more or less.
But when suddenly shut, the float rises just noticeably, as the reservoir continues to drop for a second or three!
There really is a toiletbowl effect, if we could only observe it.

Was George Schebler really hip to this?
He had to be.

....Cotten

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:35 pm

Well Folks,

Interruption by welcome visitors on this beautiful Independence Day led to another observation.

With the reservoir left open, the bowl fluid level,
and I would foolishly assume the float level as well,..
rose visibly from its previous static position.

Just like so many drool a tablespoon or so in real life.

In light that this is a fresh modern valve that passed the "suck test",
it becomes apparent that we can only take our measurements within the minute, not after lunch.

Until I have a leveled, and strangely enough, either a fixed or vibrated assembly,.. hopefully not both, any numbers I have now would be meaningless in the future.

....Cotten

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:34 pm

Here is the refined apparatus, Folks,

A new base with three leveling screws, and a satellite dish bubble level on top;
The tape on the sightglass tube was a problem, so now I have sliding adjustable marker clips. The top one is close to 5/8" below the bowl lip.
SITGLS13.jpg
Another "dry" start confirmed ~10ml for the feed line.
It then took~38 seconds to drain 88ml to fill the bowl, and drop in the reservoir level ceased. It slowed noticeably at the end.

Carefull measurement of the bobbing float gives .380", which is ~3/8", not 1/4".
Yet the fluid level is indeed ~5/8" (.610"-.630")

Again I am facinated how the float and fingers bobber about so freely, yet the valve shows no immediate leakage at the reservoir level. One would think the float would have to apply pressure, and anchor itself to do so.

Now I opened the sightglass, and purged its bubbles. Its level responds with a momentary dip when the 5ml dropper is used to remove fluid from the bowl.
So 'toilet cycling' should be visible with our system.

The problem however, is that the level in the tube doesn't read 5/8" on the scale. More like 1/2"!
UNDISCPL.jpg
It needs discipline.

....Cotten

old.wrench

Post by old.wrench » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:14 pm

It's a bit of a surprise (to me anyhow) that the capillary action would be affected so much by the surface tension and adhesion of the mineral spirits. That's a lot of difference (5/8" versus 1/2"). I suspect that a smaller tube would show a greater difference and a with a larger tube you wouldn't see as much variance.

Geo.

old.wrench

Post by old.wrench » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:26 pm

O.K., I'll 'fess up . . . the first thing I thought of when I looked at your modified rig was . . . "I wonder if there's anybody who's never seen a safety pin?" :lol:

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:51 pm

Geo!

I collect safety pins.

The bore of the oxygen tubeing is fluted, having lengthwise stiffening ribs inside, instead of round. That certainly should magnify any effects of surface tension or capillary action.
However the meniscus is well defined and guickly responsive.

My apparatus has a calibration concern.
The previous base allowed easy tweaking, but this close and squared base makes it more of a chore.
With a straightedge across the top of the bowl, the sightglass scale should be zero'd,.. shouldn't it?

In the meantime, let us ponder what I've observed so far:

The float doesn't float at the 1/4" setting, but at about 3/8".
(And it hovers eerily as if it doesn't touch the needle.)

Previous estimations by others for a bowl fluid level of ~5/8" appear confirmed.

More when time allows,

....Cotten

Mr.Big
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Mr.Big » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:42 am

Now, where's the trampoline to mimic road conditions......... :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Please carry on.......

Return to “Linkert”