mbskeam

Re: Aligning shift forks to top...

Post by mbskeam » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:46 pm

opps.... wrong post

Kuda

Re: Aligning shift forks to top...Sneak and Peak

Post by Kuda » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:17 pm

NightShift wrote: Put the lid on.
Shift it through its gears back to neutral.
Sneak the lid off slowly and peak at where it puts the forks.
Then shim the forks where they should be if it needs it.

Respectful,
Funny thing is, that's the way I've always done it on rachet lids, never had a problem. Then I got this fancy tool and a handshift lid it all went to hell. So I'm blamin' the tool...

-Kuda (probably the tool) :mrgreen:

NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:18 pm

Dear Kuda,
The tool is just a transfer gauge.
Setting it by the lid then lets you see what it does on the case. Like an invisible lid.

'Spect you will get it,

Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:29 am

Sounds to me like ya got aftermarket shift clutches, or after market shift forks, or maybe the combination of the two. There should be a small amount of side play between the shift clutch and the shift fork, but not to the extent that you should be engaging a gear that has not been intentionally selected....bosheff

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:38 pm

Stiengage----You posted exactly what I was about to say!,However with 2-finger typing /you were quicker on the draw!.KUDA What NIGHTSHIFT just said /IS as easy as it gets!///1-Question however--When the nuts are Tightened down ,If you put a finger on the side of the fork ,Do you feel it trying to PULL SLIGHTLY to one side?---I have seen shafts with grooves from tightening over the yrs.However AS long as you know the distence /It can be centered.----Flatboy50---I hear what your saying!--But there could of been other issues that split the case!/Not just from not USING a TOOL for it!/I spent ALOT of time at the track & MOST trannys that exploded were from BAD CHAINS or GEARS & when a chain goes it whips the mixers case right in half!.Of course under more scrutiny If you find a Broken 1st from launching THAT will blow a Alum. case in a few pieces.If the Bike reacted normally during the burnout to heat-up the slik/It could of been another issue!,Unless no burnout & just a fun-run of a streetbike to see what she would pull.Remember the TRACK is a whole other issue & whatever you build for street applications /Does MULTIPLY by ALOT when doing 1/4-mile assaults!.Im not DOUBTING your WORD!/You were there & know better then we!.----Respectfully----Richie

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”