Transmission alignment

Bender
Bikes: 1950 EL
1993 FXDWG
1990 FLHTCU
2003 FLHTCUI

Transmission alignment

Post by Bender »

I have am installing a Primo 1 1/2 8mm belt on my 1950 EL. When everything is straight I have a 1/8" offset between the two pulleys (clutch needs to come out). Since I have tapered shafts and shimming isn't even an option, I want to verify the way to alleviate this issue is to elongate the four mounting holes on the transmission plate to the frame. Also, does anyone have anything negative to say about the machined aluminum transmission plates? Thanks so much for any information.

Bigincher
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: Transmission alignment

Post by Bigincher »

That's the same belt drive I've had on my '41 pan since 1975...! Admittedly, I haven't ridden it continuously since 1975, but it's held up well and I'm still on the original belt. Since it was so long ago that I installed it, I can't remember anything at all about having checked the alignment. I was young and dumb, and probably just bolted it on and ran with it.

Personally, at first I was thinking I wouldn't be in favor of slotting the trans plate, but as I thought about it some more, I realized it's not like you'd be making an elongation the entire length of the adjusting slot. If you can set the belt tension, that tells you where the fore/aft location is, then 1/8" with a rat-tail, and you'd be there.
Myself, I would spend a little money on an aftermarket trans plate, and have a go at it. Being's that I treasure good OEM parts, I wouldn't ruin one for the project.

I'm slowly putting my '52 back to factory condition, but even at that, I plan on running the belt drive. It just eliminates a big maintenance issue; adjusting the primary chain means adjusting so many other things after that. I'm going to ride it, I don't own any trailer queens.

old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

bender,
Have you tried rotating the assembly yet to determine how the belt actually tracks? It might be worth a try doing that before you modify your trans plate. The manufacturers always suggest lining up the faces of the pulleys so that they are parelell and in the same plane, as it sounds like you are doing, but any variance in alignment in the vertical plane also affects tracking. So, it's possible that the 1/8" variance that you are showing may be canceled out or it might split itself between the pulleys and the belt will track O.K.. Personally, I think any time spent in getting the belt to track accurately (without relying on those pulley edge guides that keep the belt in place) pays off big-time - no broken belts and very long belt life. You are definitely on the right "track" by spending time to get it right :) .

Geo.

Omarine
Bikes: '49 FL project

Post by Omarine »

Aluminum plates have workeed fine for me. Easier to machine too.

In moving the trans, are u sure youre not throwing off the drive chain alignment?

My take, for what its worth is, if the belt turns freely on to the pulleys, amd you can use those belt guards on the motor pulley, then you should be fine.
Moving the trans sounds like a pandoras box to me. Send an update when u know...thanks

Cheers

1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Post by 1951 adam »

Not a good idea, nothing will work together properly. I had a belt setup for 9 years , taper shaft, no mods were needed ... Something's not right, contact the manufacturer
Adam

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Something is off for-sure!---You can ELONGATE the plate so to move the tranny forward!-(some belt manufactures incude it in instructions I believe its .250).--BUT moving it out SIDEWAYS or in SIDEWAYS is NOT GOOD!---There maybe a problem with the manufactures Pullies???--Call them & see what they say!---Respectfully---RICHIE

nmaineron
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Post by nmaineron »

Are you sure that the mainshaft is correct for the transmission? Sometimes the clutch hub will move the key back and keep it from seating properly...an 1/8 isn't really that much and it may run just fine but I would definitely use the belt guide on the front pulley...

itsRICH
Bikes: 1948 Panhead chopper kit bike

Post by itsRICH »

Ive been trying to get mine right for about a year now, I have a 2" BDL drive. I just recently got it better than before. I had gotten it to where it would run true, but then I would disengage the clutch and it would walk out, even with the ram jet retainer. I have found that just kicking it over to see where the belt is running is not good enough, you will have to start the bike to see where she really goes, with the tranny nuts loose I would push down/up on the kicker lever to change the tranny horizontally, (canted) and deteremined that I needed to shim it on that plane. So after trying all my washers, they were too thick. so I went at got thinner ones, and placed them inbetween tranny and adj. plate I put one on all 5 nuts and bolt, and it runs truer now, as you can see in the picture, there is a very small gap on the rear pulley so the belt doesn't rub. I have been looking into getting the offset front pulley spacer/nut from CCI/BDL but haven't decided on it yet, I aslo found a belt retainer for the front pulley on CCI for 3.99, just waiting to get some more parts together till I order. I also have gotten a new releasing disc recently if you've read my other posts, and my clutch would not release all the way, I would pull the lever and roll backwards with difficulty in 1st gear, it was smoother in 2nd, and shifting was hard, so I pulled it apart yesterday and the first clutch disc was stuck to the pulley by the ram jet retainer with grease, must have put a little too much in there, cleaned it all up lubed the cable and it works perfect, smooth shifting, rollin back in 1st with clutch pulled is easy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bender
Bikes: 1950 EL
1993 FXDWG
1990 FLHTCU
2003 FLHTCUI

Post by Bender »

Thank-you so much to everyone that replied. I was relatively certain moving the holes was not a place I wanted to go, but asked to be sure. I spent HOURS trying to figure something out.... Just about to give up and let it sit for awhile, (again). I tried swapping my brand new Paugcho transmission plate with the old rusty, peeling original plate, everything is in line. Parallel on the same plane. Now to find a new transmission plate... Thanks again! There's not many people around my area to ask about the older stuff.

mark59
Bikes: 39 UL bobber,78 FX wide glide, 99 FLHT, and 48 U with sidecar project

Post by mark59 »

Having the pulleys in line but 1/8 difference should not be a big deal as long as belt is within the edges of the pulleys. If I understand your post correctly.
I had quite a hard time getting my belt to track properly, i had to eventually loosen and rotate my motor to get it dialed in
My belt leaves about an 1/8 of the outboard front pulley exposed
True tracking will not be known 100% until bike is fired up. No matter how well you line it up it still migt need to be tweaked a little.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

49bones
Bikes: 1957 FL. Was very original but is now sold.
58 PanShovel

Post by 49bones »

mark59 wrote:Having the pulleys in line but 1/8 difference should not be a big deal as long as belt is within the edges of the pulleys. If I understand your post correctly.
I had quite a hard time getting my belt to track properly, i had to eventually loosen and rotate my motor to get it dialed in
True tracking will not be known 100% until bike is fired up. No matter how well you line it up it still migt need to be tweaked a little.
Hi Mark was this difficult to do, I'm struggling getting mine to track up, its like the tranny is in the bike to far by about a quarter of an inch?

49bones
Bikes: 1957 FL. Was very original but is now sold.
58 PanShovel

Post by 49bones »

49bones wrote:
mark59 wrote:Having the pulleys in line but 1/8 difference should not be a big deal as long as belt is within the edges of the pulleys. If I understand your post correctly.
Hi Mark was this difficult to do, I'm struggling getting mine to track up, its like the tranny is in the bike to far by about a quarter of an inch?
Managed to get this almost dialled in now, having the night in the warm tonight but back on it tomoz, shimming the tranny now just to get it all perfected, the front is tracking perfect and the back is now running a tiny bit against the clutch basket. Getting there.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”