Any good WL/WLA/G Projects going on

All flathead topics
47knuck

Re: Any good WL/WLA/G Projects going on

Post by 47knuck »

Jack: Very pretty engine. My first look inside a 45. COOL. Nice pictures thanks for the look at a new rebuild. Show the intake when you get there, please.

Jack_Hester
Ex-member

Post by Jack_Hester »

47Knuck -

I don't know if I took pics, before I mounted the carb. It's already on, and I haven't uploaded the pics for that, yet. Glad you like them. 45's are a blast, and make for a fun project. I get my share of Pan and Shovel jobs, and on occasion, some Knuckle components. But, 45 projects are lined up at the door. I take take at least 2 or 3 of them a year, with the big twins thrown in for a change. I'm on my way home from Missouri, from visiting an Army buddy. He's had plenty of chances to get his hands on 45's and a couple of Knuckles. Just didn't take them. I think I've got him hooked, bad. I told him that I didn't care what he got. Just give me a call when he was ready for the build. He's on an 89 Evo, and his wife is on a 05 Sportster. Now my wife is showing an interest in having her own. She already knows my tendancies towards the old machines, so she's hinting that it would be good to get the 67 ServiCar back on the road for her to get her feet wet. Then, maybe something else. I told her that I'd have it ready for her by next Spring, as I have too much in the shop to get finished. I guess it's time to rip the barn open, like I've been threatening to do, and start pulling some of this stuff out. More pics to come. Have a good one.

Jack

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

I agree Jack, why would anyone settle for a TwinCam 88 when they could have a QuadCam 45? Here are a couple pics of the WL motor going back together. The poor little pinion gear is a very busy guy: driving 2 oil pumps, 4 cams, a breather valve, the timer and the generator, must be made out of kryptonite. I sure hope the factory put all those timing marks in the right places!

BTW, I did a little experimenting with silver paint and was very happy with the VHT brand in a color called 'Cast Aluminum'. The scavenger pump, lifter blocks, oil pump, etc look just like the bead blasted cases. I used it on the transmission covers too, looks great.

Billy

Post by Billy »

I'll ask again...
Your pics look good, but I see stock pistons. Are you still gonna stroke it ??

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Good eye Billy, can't fool somebody who's been inside one.
This engine is going back together pretty much stock. The cylinders cleaned up at .030 and the bottom end was so tight I hated to mess with it. The stroker stuff is going in the wife's '71 Servi because just about everything in that engine is wore slap out, might as well replace it with the 'good stuff'. The Servi will benefit more from the extra power anyway.
The 47 solo will do just fine with a 33 tooth motor sprocket on the stock engine and, of course, proper tuning.

Billy

Any good WL/WLA/G Projects

Post by Billy »

This is where I was at over a couple weeks ago, 7/10/04 more has been done since. Getting there.

I should of posted this in the category: "Any good WL/WLA/G projects going on ?

57JOHND

Re: Any good WL/WLA/G Projects

Post by 57JOHND »

Billy,

Thats candy to the eyes. Thanks for the peek. I've had a '71 in the corner for years and looking at that makes me want to drag it out. Unfortunatley, not enough room. Gotta finish the '57 first (then the '67, then the...so on and so on)
Really Fine Work
Thanks
John

Billy

Post by Billy »

Thanks John, kind words! I appreciate them!!
That is my "Parts Chaser 2" I've done quite a bit inside T&O Stroker & Leineweber cams 'Relieved', Decked,
ported & etc...,etc...you get the idea.
I kinda like the stock look, but inside is different.[sleeper]

Parts Chaser 1 was my first HD 'bout 34 years ago.

57JOHND

Post by 57JOHND »

Billy,

Them Sleepers,,,, is the way to go. A partner of mine has a 93 in. Pan that will virtually eat a Twinkie/Poser
from the Git Go to the Top. (it also runs a 6spd).
I laugh my fat old ass off when one of them turns to him (mabey after a few to many brewskis) and says something to the effect of "why do you still ride that OLD stuff?
You can tell where its going already....
Something like "Ya know, it may be OLD but if ya give me the jump (un-needed) I'll betcha it will run with you."
Nothin against Twinkies. Own one mysself. BUT, sometimes ya gotta learn to respect them Elders.

John

englishdee
Bikes: 1942 Harley 45

Post by englishdee »

Just picked up a non-running (although it kicks through OK, so isn't seized) WLA with a '42 motor in it. I've wrenched on all sorts but never anything this old. I'm not restoring, I just want her to run well and keep her as she is………….sweaty. There's an M18 carb on there now but apparently the M88 is original and best. But that's a different sized manifold? Is it still 3 bolt, but just bigger inlet? Any decent and more cost effective alternatives to the M88 that'll work well? I also have a Fairbanks Mag on there that apparently doesn't work so hopefully I can buy a rebuild kit for it.
Attachments
IMG_8938.JPG
IMG_8938.JPG (92.99 KiB) Viewed 5050 times

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Englishdee---That Bob a Chop is going to be a fine scoot when done!-(I like it now with the Patina it has!/I love Ratbikes/& Everything from Trailer-QUEENS To RATs I should of said!--GOOD-LUCK---RICHIE

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I wonder if Jack Hester is still around? It's been 9 years since his last post in this thread...

BLKFATTY

Post by BLKFATTY »

mine is almost finished. Just need a carb tune and add air cleaner...I think :)
Attachments
web size completed left angle.jpg
web size completed left angle.jpg (81.25 KiB) Viewed 868 times

NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift »

Panacea wrote:I wonder if Jack Hester is still around? It's been 9 years since his last post in this thread...
Jack died and his son tried to tell us but got bitched off the forum.
Happens to the best of us.

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Nightshift!-----Thanks for letting me/us know about JACK!---His presence & wisdom will surely be missed!.Anyway the Forum lost a GOOD MAN in my opinion!---I never met the man PERSONALLY!--But TOOK his VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE SKILL & LISTENED & LEARNED!---My condolences to the Family///We lost a great Man!----RESPECTFULLY----RICHIE

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”