Any good WL/WLA/G Projects going on

All flathead topics
Jack_Hester
Ex-member

Re: Any good WL/WLA/G Projects going on

Post by Jack_Hester »

28Aug04 -

Finished up the top end components. Now, waiting on valve covers, along with tappet screws/nuts, which are on order. Hope to get those in next week.

http://community.webshots.com/album/108151930HQkPCZ/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Man, I wish that I had the frame stripped of all the layers of black rattle can. It would be nice to have somewhere to sit the engine. I bought the small bench, just for assembly of the WLA components. The tranny will be close behind the engine. It looks ok, from the top. But, I've been into too many to let looks deceive. Just anxious to tear it down for inspection. That will come in a few weeks. Have a good one.

Jack

Fast Ed 53

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

Hey Gang, I must tell everyboby that Jack has graciously put his trans project on hold while he rebuilds my pan trans. And I thank him for that. Reading these post has got me interested in a winter flat head project. Any suggestions on what or what not to look for ? Ed
Some things to look for...

Jack_Hester
Ex-member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Ed -

- Make sure that it has good paperwork.
- Make sure that it has all the sheet metal. Like tanks, fenders, dash cover (for that matter, the whole dash with speedometer). If it is a WLA, the sheet metal brings a premium.
- Buy it as complete as possible, unless it is a killer deal like mine was ($200).
- If it will be a regular rider, don't worry about correct tires. Get some with a good modern road compound. Also, don't worry about everything being original. Get it on the street and replace/add as you go.
- Spare no expense on the rebuild of the engine, transmission, wheels/brakes, and electrical system. You should be able to ride reliably with the big dogs, anytime you want, for however far they go.
- Build it right the first time, and rebuild it again in another 40 or so years, with an occasional valve/ring/tappet roller job throw in.

There are plenty more things that others can come up with. These are just a starter.

Jack

Fast Ed 53

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

Jack, Any certain years that you should look for ? Ed

Jack_Hester
Ex-member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Ed -

Yes. The WWII years. Plenty of them still available. Lot of them were converted to civilian. No matter. Prices not bad, either, with good paperwork. Start looking in Walneck's Cycle Trader. Branch out from there.

Jack

Billy

Post by Billy »

Can't have too many bikes..
A Flatty will be a nice addition to your Pan, Ed..

Jack_Hester
Ex-member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Finally, the engine is coming close to finish. Cylinders are now in place. Intake manifold is boxed and ready for shipping out to Liberty Motorcycle Specialties (Cotten) for cleanup and fitting of Peek seals. The original heads are #5's, and have had their initial cleaning. A few of the small fins are missing, but I think I'll bead them and use them. I've got some very nice #6 heads. But, I want the #5's for originality. Will replace them later with undamaged ones, when I put my hands on some. Here are the latest pics: http://community.webshots.com/album/108151930HQkPCZ/2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jack

P.S. - You will notice the date of the last reply (Billy). That was the day a minivan wiped me out and totaled my 76 FLH. The past couple of weeks is the first time that I've had to work on it.

Sledge

Post by Sledge »

Post by sledge

hey guys

just started the "restoration" project on my 1951 WLJ by stripping the compleet motorcycle this week.
Now the fun seems to start.
i'l keep you informed on the progress.

Greetings,

Billy

Post by Billy »

Sledge-

Enjoy the 'journey' cause when it's built. Yes it will be a blast to ride. But, then you gotta start planning the next build .. (well, U don't gotta) but I guess I do.. ;D
Have fun, & we love the Details......

Flat's where it's at !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

bieb

Post by bieb »

Hello Jack,
I was admiring your pictures. I noticed the glyptal coating. I am currently rebuilding my 61 pan, getting ready to blast the cases. Is this a good product to use on the interior of the cases? What about oil passages and the such. I did a search on glyptal and found in a spray and brush on. Since my experience is in rebuilding Industrial Refrigeration Compressors(basically the same just bigger parts) could you give me a little advise?

Thanks,

Mark

George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

I have started a custom bike.
Have a unmolested frame.
NOS engine cases still with cosmoline on them. US Army tag still attached to engine. Number six heads, 34mm Mikuni, although I am not impressed with the mounting, and will do something about that. Fairbanks-Morse Mag that I rebuild using three to make one good one. And I know it works....shocked the hell out of me!!
FYI the Mikuni site ain't all that user friendly (at least for me here in Germany). I've been trying to get some information about the carb that I have. It's got the throttle cable coming out of the top of the carb. Any help here? E-mail me at georgehowardgreer@yahoo.com
Looking to adapt a British 4 speed to it...BUT...with NO modifications to the frame....I will be making an adjustable adapter for the trannie to frame.
Also I might have a good lead on a 1977-78-79 Sporster front fork assembly...I understand that one of these will work just fine on the 45 frames and I will have the benifit of disk brakes.
Francis Villedon, in France is making me a set of gas-gas Fat-bob tanks that will fit the 45 frame and I will also be using a underseat oil tank.
Been thinking about making it a stroker motor...but I don't know yet....How much would I have to have machined...and reliability...and ect...ect..
will keep yalll informed..

Billy, I am from just up the street....I am from Ga..was born in Atlanta and grew up in the Smyrna/Marietta area....my brother's ole lady is from Ft. Meyers/Punta Gorda.

George in Germany

Billy

Post by Billy »

Hi George-

You latest Flat-project sounds cool !! ;D
Lots of good ingredients !! Yea, I hear the mikuni's blow-off, that hose & clamp set-up regularly. I agree, room for improvement. Like a good Stout carb support..
CV's are my carb choice. can't help ya on a 34mm mik.
George, I never knew we were practically neighbors...
Small world ;D My latest Servi was originally sent to Atlanta, Ga. for Police duty. That's where I found it..
We used to ride over to Ft. Myers to just take a spin..
How cool... Thanks for letting me know.. ;D

Billy

Jack_Hester
Ex-member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Bieb -

If you are 'blasting', use beads. Then, wash the cases in hot (too hot, without rubber gloves), soapy water. Opens the pores so that everything loosens up. I use the paint-on Glyptal, as I use quite a bit in building. If this is your only one to build, at the moment, buy the spray and do some masking. Makes for an easier application. Apply the first coat and allow to dry until tacky. Apply a second coat. Allow this coat to dry to touch (won't take but a few hours). I like to prop them up on the bench, like a tent, and put a light in between. Leave them overnight. Makes a tough, protective finish. It seals the casting and makes for a smooth surface for oil to flow on. You can attempt to coat the oil passages, but be careful. Too much, and you stand the chance of plugging them in a blind spot. Eastwood.com is one source. Not cheap. There may be better prices elsewhere.

Jack

P.S. - Sorry for being slow to respond. Working some long hours, and only getting time to browse.

40WL1234

Post by 40WL1234 »

I am building a hybrid. I just finishing rebuilding a 1940 G motor, completely done. Everything is rebuilt or replaced with NOS parts. I did have help on the engine work from a Guy who used to drag race Harleys. He says if you can manage to blow it up I will rebuild it!
The frame is a 1941-46 type frame. I am doing the tranny now. That will be NOS parts also except for the case, I call it new used. I do not have the Gas tanks yet, hint . May have to get aftermarket. I don't care if the bike gets scored. I am building a rider not a show bike.

George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Hi all,

Update for my project.. I finally found a Sporster front fork with a 7/8" diameter neck stem. And the stem length is apparently the same as the springer forks.
It is in great shape, but I am going to replace all the seals and bushings anyway. The previous owner was kind enough to copy all the info and diagrams for the disassembly-inspection-reassembly instructions for me.
Now I just need to get the neck cups from W&W Cycles here near me in Wurzburg.
I'm still searching around for the wheels what I want....
And waiting on the trannie and clutch assembly...then I will be making the trannie adapter and ect...ect...
Will keep youall informed...

George in Germany

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”