Piston squirters

All flathead topics
flat38

Piston squirters

Post by flat38 »

Don't know if anyone has posted this info before so if it is redundant, my apologies.

Did some piston squirter pressure testing this morning using RevTech 25W60 heated to 180 degrees F. The testing was done using a case with both jets
installed. I limited my testing to a max pressure of 40psi as a flathead is unlikely to see even that much with hot oil. I tested jet sizes .020", .028", and .040". Some sources have suggested using different size jets for front and rear cylinders. I have found this to cause the larger jet to squirt and the smaller to dribble. Much higher pressures may eliminate this but that is not realistic on a flatty.

.020: Just dribbled even at 40psi.

.028: Excellent spray at 20psi,

.040: Good stream at 15psi and better at 20psi. Higher volume but stream not as aggressive as .028 jet. Used a lot of oil.

svkiwi
Bikes: 1946 WL

Re: Piston squirters

Post by svkiwi »

Actual, real life results. Thank you! Most informative. Better than guesswork

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Custom Built Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

Are there any pictures. I would like to see how these are rigged.
....Thank You.... RooDog....

George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

I don't know if this helps, but this thread below is what I have done to my not-yet-taking forever to complete engine build.

Lots of assist from Frankenstein, And Panic, and I will say it again here.....Thank you both!

http://www.hydra-glide.com/phpBB3/viewt ... irt+oilers

George

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Custom Built Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

G....
I was impressed with your WR/KH build and then it stopped at page #7.

You were also working in a nice shop, and now you're in a car port? or am I missing something?

Do you still have the Army Model?

Anybody: I had been a militaria trader and have more than a few genuine & correct US GI WW2 M1 helmets to sell. They ain't cheap, but they are defiantly for Real....
....RooDog....

George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Roodog,

That shop is my basement.

Only got a carport and small shed to work in.

The WLA is in the shed along with my tool box from work when I retired, box was too big to get down the steps so I parked in in the shed.

I will keep the WLA and the pan till I pass on.

The WL/KH is still in the basement and uncompleted, but once the pan's got the bugs worked out, I will try to get back to it.

George

Frankenstein
Bikes: 37ULH,46UL,47EL(80"),65FL,61KH-WL-BSA hybrid,56square4,several 50's BSA 500 singles

Post by Frankenstein »

Flat38,
Glad to hear you're investigating the squirter system. I've felt like a voice in the wilderness for a long time.
I used a #61 drill, .039, for my squirters. I checked out the skirt oilers on K cylinders and just copied what Harley had done. With the sportster pump, I had plenty of oil flow, and have no problem supplying the larger jet. On a big twin, you need cooling, so the more oil, the better.
Here's a link to my test jig:
https://linnmotorcycles.com/blog/2018/1 ... tster-pump.
When plumbing the oil to the squirters, I discovered that the less restriction the feed line has, the better. In my case oil has to flow around the top through case bolt via banjo fitting, and enlarging the banjo and the size of the relief hole around the through bolt in the case, improved delivery to the squirters.
Good luck,
DD

flat38

Post by flat38 »

Dr. Dick,
I like the way you have done your squirters. I did mine about 16 years ago based on some plans from someone else. The jets point across the cylinder at a 45 degree angle, so I really don't know how effective they are when running as the pistons move down and block them on every stroke. I am not sure I could do what you have done as a previous owner did a large radius job on the bottom of the cylinder holes in the cases, thus removing a lot of metal that could be used to put squirters like yours in. Did you have to notch your cylinders and pistons for clearance?

Frankenstein
Bikes: 37ULH,46UL,47EL(80"),65FL,61KH-WL-BSA hybrid,56square4,several 50's BSA 500 singles

Post by Frankenstein »

You bet I did! This is an early version of the squirter, I used brake line and soldered off the end. Now I use 1/4" aluminum rod drilled for the oil passage and tap the case 1/4-20. I just did an educated guess on the aiming of the jet, but the pistons show a cleaner spot on the bottom side of the crown right where I wanted it.
Paul Freibus made a stainless tubing "Y" manifold that had it's own hole through the case below the center case through bolt and was apparently free standing within the case. I saw the manifold not mounted, and a different assembled engine with one mounted. So, I don't know the details of how he actually mounted it.
It's fun to be on the bleeding edge of technology on 100 yr old engine designs :D
DD

mark59
Bikes: 39 UL bobber,78 FX wide glide, 99 FLHT, and 48 U with sidecar project

Post by mark59 »

i just completed a 48 U 4 1/2 " stroker, I used Pauls set up and was hands on at his shop for entire build. i did drill cylinder sleeves for oilers to pass thru. tested them out with compressed air to check aim. used the 4 vane pump mod too. Paul uses stainless steel tubing, one hole below center case bolt with a flange ( for o-ring and mounting tab to case bolt ) a single tube with two holes. fed off oil pressure switch port thru a check valve to case , so all plumbing is external and neatly run up back of and over the top of the cam cover.

Frankenstein

Post by Frankenstein »

Thanks for the true details on how Paul plumbed squirters. Apparently, I lost a few details, or got them mixed up? Gosh, and I was so sure I could trust my Memory :D :D
Thanks Mark
DD

flat38

Post by flat38 »

DD,
I've been looking very closely at the pics of your squirters and at my right case. I think I see a way to possibly alter my plan to something similar to yours. Instead of the banjo bolt plan you used, I have a #21 (.159") hole drilled 1.2" deep located .500" below the case bolt. This does intersect with the cylinder stud hole. I sealed it up with a set screw and JB Weld. How did you seal yours? How far into the cylinder hole do your nozzles extend?

Frankenstein

Post by Frankenstein »

The nozzles just enter the base bolt hole. I sealed the bottom of the hole with slow setting JB Weld after making the holes for the nozzles. I taped the base bolt hole shut after I put in the JB weld, let it set upright overnight so it would settle down against the tape and not plug my nozzle holes.
Good Luck with it.
DD

flat38

Post by flat38 »

DD,
How far out into the case bore do the squirters protrude? It looks like around 1/2" or so in the pics. Is this a close guess?

Frankenstein

Post by Frankenstein »

I think it's about 3/4". Could have measured it 2 days ago, had the top end off :-) I was looking to clear the rod and hopefully get the squirt right on the bottom of the piston crown.
DD

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”